RE: Training - who gets it? How useful?

Subject: RE: Training - who gets it? How useful?
From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
To: "'McLauchlan, Kevin'" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:08:39 -0400

Interesting questions. As a freelancer with about six regular clients, the
only training that I wouldn't pay for is client-mandated training... in more
than three years, that's never happened!

If I find something that will help me build a skill set in a related area,
and my budget allows, I pay for it on my dime, and I've actually done both
online and in-person.

My clients cross a number of verticals--customer service, telecom, financial
services, IT integration, textiles, and US government. I'd go broke in a
hurry attending conferences and training, but sometimes I can find a good
online or CBT that doesn't break the bank.

I'm much more likely to look for certifications or training in areas
affiliated to techcomm--I'm considering going for CBAP (Certified Business
Analysis Professional), and I'm constantly looking for courses on technical
and social marketing, knowledge management, proposal writing, instructional
design, ITIL, BPM, or information architecture (but none of those are
cheap!). I'm not likely to pay for tools training, usually I can pick it up
through vendor tutorials, forums or plain old mucking around.

FWIW
Connie Giordano