Re: Anthropomorphism is bad because...

Subject: Re: Anthropomorphism is bad because...
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- oracle -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 23:50:16 +1000

On Jun 19, 2010 2:33AM, Lauren wrote:

> I think a system can "expect" data or other input. What are the
> arguments against "expectation"? The term itself implies that the
> system will "wait" for input that meets certain requirements, that it
> will "reject" a process when it receives non-conforming input, and that
> it will "process" input that it receives. The term "expect" carries a
> lot of content within the scope of computer systems. If the only reason
> to reject the term is that it sounds to human, then what it is it about
> "expectation" that is too human for computer systems?

The definition of "expect" is to anticipate or to
consider probable or reasonable, which require
cognition. A non-anthropomorphic substitute might
be "require," which is a state that can be programmed
into the system.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Oracle has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- oracle -dot- com | this message is the return address

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish documentation,
manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose
authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.
http://www.doctohelp.com/