Re: Text-to-Voice software?

Subject: Re: Text-to-Voice software?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 09:39:31 +0300

Back before the flood, I worked as in radio to put myself through
school. During that time, I served for several years as the production
director at a broadcast station as well as holding down a shift as an
announcer.

Someone else mentioned holding a microphone close to your mouth but
not in front of it. That is quite correct--point the mic at your
mouth, but hold it slightly off center so the sibilants and plosives
go past the mic rather than impacting directly with it.

If you have access to a directional mic of some sort, that is far
better than an omnidirectional one. Many mics used for voice work are
"cardio-dynamic"--they have a much greater sensitivity in the
direction they are pointed than to the sides or rear.

Don't over drive the mic, either. Try for a setting that will keep the
peak sounds of your voice from being overly loud, as that will be
clipped by the electronics and wind up sounding unnatural.

As for the initial question, I am not aware of any software that has a
remotely natural sound no matter what the price. That's why Hollywood
still uses live actors to do the voice for animation, for example. If
they could get by with software, I'm sure they would as they would
save a fortune.

David

> From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:16:14 -0700
> Subject: Re: Text-to-Voice software?
> And a foam cover on a decent mic (not something that's built-in unless you
> have a very good digital voice recorder) will go a long, long way toward
> making a usable recording. The cover will help with those popped 'p's.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish documentation,
manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose
authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.
http://www.doctohelp.com/