Re: Information -- a working definition?

Subject: Re: Information -- a working definition?
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Milan DavidoviÄ <milan -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:40:41 -0700 (PDT)

Cool... Random thoughts

One assertion ignores what I understand of information theory, though... The paper asserts that information as a resource is "...not composed of mass and energy..." and so it can't be quantified as a resource. Well, the whole thrust of information theory is to indeed quantify it in terms that ultimately are mass and energy. Or at least that's how I understand it. But I'm easily baffled...

For information as a commodity, the paper talks about information phases -- "...creation (creation, generation and collection), processing (cognitive and algorithmic), storage, transportation, distribution, destruction, and seeking." So the paper lumps creation, generation, and collection together as the creation of information. Recursive, but who cares?

The paper divides information along another axis -- cultural, aesthetic, religious, etc. I think that hints at a good limiter for us... As tech writers, we're mainly dealing with technical and legal information. I bet that can help us narrow a working definition.

Information as a constitutive force in society -- Co-evolution??? Information actually changes the context of information; that is information changes society, and society generates more information, which further changes it. 15 years ago it made sense to describe how to click a radio button (perhaps). Now that level of description is just a waste of time. Dare we either drop, or at least redefine, the task-orientation mantra?

cud