Re: Resolved: Technical communicators can create information

Subject: Re: Resolved: Technical communicators can create information
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L Digest" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 09:37:20 -0700

In today's business environment, :"information" is a product. It is sold,
traded, stolen the same as an electronic device or an automobile. If whatever
we do to turn unusable or low-value data into useful, saleable "information" is
perceived as "creating product," it can be the difference between being
considered a revenue generaing function or a cost center. It's analogous to the
continuing effort I have made at every company I've managed for to impress upon
management that documentation, in whatever form it is generated, is not an
accessory to product, but part of it.

It's not so much about thinking of yourself as a "creator," but getting others
to think of you that way. Especially upper management poring over essential
resources lists at budget-cutting time.

I have been someone who hands off information to tech writers and a tech writer
who someone hands off information to. I much prefer to work at being someone
who can do both.

Gene Kim-Eng