Resolved: Technical communicators can create information

Subject: Resolved: Technical communicators can create information
From: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L Digest <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 14:19:32 -0400

I recently wrote an article for the STC Carolina chapter's newsletter, the Carolina Communiqué. In it I wrote:

> At the high end of the [technical communication] scale are people who can not only write the procedures but design entire information product offerings, as well as people who can not just describe what a product does, but explain how to use it effectively: not just how to get to the screen or page, but what to do once you're there, and why.

In response, a reader (who gave me permission to quote him) commented:

> You should make certain that young tech writers don’t begin to think of themselves as the sources of anything other than effective communication. It is the SME who is to provide the explanation of how to use a product (in his opinion) effectively or what should be done when reaching a screen or a page. It is the tech writer who should seek out the opinion of the SME and perhaps the balancing opinions of other SMEs and communicate those opinions (with credit) to the audience, assuming, of course, that tech writers actually have time to do that in the real world.

I did not say, or intend to say, that technical communicators can dispense with SMEs. But I do think that we can create information, not just serve as amanuenses. I think this goes to the heart of what a technical communicator does. If I am correctly paraphrasing the reader's opinion, a technical communicator can collect information ("here's what folks say"), and curate information ("here's what the SMEs say"), but not CREATE information. I disagree. What do you think?

-- Steve

Steven Jong ("Typo? What tpyo?")
SteveFJong -at- comcast -dot- net
978-413-2553 [C]
Home sweet home page: StevenJong.net

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish documentation,
manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose
authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -