RE: Revisiting Word Templates 2003 vs 2007

Subject: RE: Revisiting Word Templates 2003 vs 2007
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Deborah Hemstreet" <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:54:55 -0700

I haven't tried it myself yet, but will have to. I just developed a "model
doc" -- a .doc file, not .dot template file -- for Word 2003 because the
client insisted that that's what they want. But I'm going to want to use
this model doc, with all its great and wonderful macros and toolbars (and
the toolbars are mapped to the custom styles and AutoText entries), in 2007.

And this article looks like it holds the key:
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm.

As far as whether the template/model doc will generally work for both -- I
think so, but that once you open it in 2007, you'll probably be asked
whether to save it as 2003 or 2007 compatible. And so if you save it as
2007, you'll basically end up with a 2007 version in addition to your
starting 2003 version. (Yes, there actually is a way to open 2007 files in
2003, but some features do get lost, I think.

-Monique

> What are the differences when developing a template in Word 2003 vs
> 2007. Is it possible to create a template that works in Word 2003 AND
> Word 2007? I have a client that wants me to develop a template for them
> that will function in both Word 2003 AND 2007. I'm not sure that I can...
>
> I recall someone saying that Styles, etc. work, but that toolbars do
> not. Thus, if I have a toolbar with all kinds of macros accessed via
> that toolbar in Word 2003, what happens to the template in Word 2007. I
> don't have Word 2007 and am not yet prepared to invest in it.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish documentation,
manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose
authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -