RE: InDesign versus FrameMaker (versus Word)

Subject: RE: InDesign versus FrameMaker (versus Word)
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Donna McManus'" <donna -dot- mcmanus -at- gmail -dot- com>, <mattgras -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 18:59:55 -0400

Donna McManus wrote:

"InDesign is just that--basically a design software. It's not really
well-suited for editing, reviewing, and authoring. Word is better for that."

Having used both, I see InDesign being a good match for larger documents,
including those that have complex tables. Word just plan sucks for tables
(pretty basic) and both handle editing, reviewing and authoring quite well.
What it boils down to is what you are comfortable with and what you can
afford. FrameMaker is a wonderful problem, but can you justify the cost.
InDesign is less expansive and Word is the cheapest.

I use word at one client for the last reason....it's cheap, but it is also
limiting. The thing to do is do not confuse a page layout program with a
word processor.

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -