RE: Context-sensitive - menu-item topic or... Clippy?

Subject: RE: Context-sensitive - menu-item topic or... Clippy?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 12:34:43 -0700

I've created my documentation to meet the needs of several types of
users: those who want and in-depth understanding of the entire product
workflow; those who want to understand the workflow for just part of the
product; those that want to understand just a particular field, term, or
concept; and those who aren't sure what exactly they need to know but
who are looking at a GUI and wondering WTF?

Our product comprises several tabbed GUIs, each responsible for some
part of the Information Lifecycle Management (ILM) process and
infrastructure. For example, one GUI defines storage vaults and media;
another defines data ingest polices; and another defines data movement
policies. To create an ILM system from scratch, the user would use
several different GUIs in pretty much a pre-defined order. Later, to
expand or modify his system, the user would employ individual GUIs as
needed. For example, if the user wanted to tweak just his data ingest
policies, he would use just the GUI dedicated to creating and managing
data ingest policies.

Within each GUI, we provide hover help and three additional help
link to the same browser based on-line help (but in different ways).
"Table of Contents" links to the overview of the entire ILM workflow
with which the documentation begins. "Overview" links to the overview
section for the given GUI the user has open. This section includes an
overview of the workflow for the given GUI, how the GUI fits into the
overall product workflow, and links to specific help pages for
individual GUI tabs. "Current page" links to the page in the help that
documents the GUI tab the user is currently using. Each help page
includes an overview of what a user can do and why, in relation to
overall workflow, they'd want to do it.

I've structured the help so that the user can understand workflow and
work through tasks by simply reading the TOC from top to bottom. Section
titles also include GUI names so that a user can browse to the section
for any GUI without needing a clear idea of the task they might want to
accomplish with that GUI.

In short, the help is task centric AND application centric. Along with
documentation for particular GUIs, tabs, and fields, it features an
abundance of overview and in-depth information for users who want to
understand the big picture. It also includes terse "How To" sections,
for users who want to be led through a task as quickly and painlessly as
possible, as well as tutorials. And of course, the help also features
search functionality and an index.

Leonard