Re: PowerPoint in the military

Subject: Re: PowerPoint in the military
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 10:06:51 +0300

David,

While I completely agree, I would go farther and say that if Word is
your creation medium, it is simply impossible to be an "excellent
typographer"...Word simply is not capable of it as much as you may
try--it lacks the necessary tools.

For truly excellent typography, you need either something like
InDesign if you wish to roll your own, or a greatly simpler method is
to use a TeX-based tool such as Lyx. With Lyx and an appropriate LaTeX
style file, it is virtually impossible to have anything but
typographic excellence.

Of course, today there are few people who consciously are aware of the
difference between good and bad typography.

Come to think of it, there seems a similarity between a "word
processor" and what it does to your writing and a "food processor" and
what it can so easily do to your food.

David

> From: David Farbey <dfarbey -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- uk>

> The almost universal availability of Microsoft Word hasn't created a
> planet full of excellent writers (let alone excellent typographers),
> though many people are under the impression that they can write and
> can design a page layout. Similarly the almost universal availability
> of Microsoft PowerPoint hasn't created a planet full of excellent
> presenters, more's the pity.

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -