Re: Screen Capture Software? with transparent background capability

Subject: Re: Screen Capture Software? with transparent background capability
From: DonaLuisa <donaluisa_nwr -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:58:38 +0000 (UTC)

The serendipity of this list is amazing! Just last week I had our IT download the trail SnagIt so I could test how to capture an image of a FrameMaker page. I am trying to get an image of a page, and turn the page background from white to transparent in the image. This is so I can overlay the image onto another FrameMaker document, or perhaps another image.

We use frames and tables that connect across pages, so I couldn't capture just the one page with the alt + print screen button. I want to overlay the page onto another FrameMaker file page, so that I can visually compare that the graphic images in each are aligned. Different text/languages appear on the documents, but the graphics must remain unaltered so that our intelligent character recognition system can "read" the forms. Currently I have to print the pages and compare them on a light table (or just hold the pages up to the window). I would love to compare onscreen.

Anyhow, I cannot get the captured image to become transparent. I dumped the gif into PowerPoint, and used the Picture tools | format | adjust | recolor | set transparent color tool, which did make the image transparent, but when I paste the gif (or saved as PNG format) into FrameMaker it is not transparent. PowerPoint also distorts the image's size so that it cannot be used for visual comparison.

How can I get a transparent overlay that is 100% the correct size?

-DLF