Re: Agile tech writing

Subject: Re: Agile tech writing
From: Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Blount, Patricia A" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 12:57:18 -0500

Hi Patricia;

Here's the link to my blog: http://www.agiletechnicalwriter.com

It is not a best practice to lag behind a sprint because that goes against
the spirit of Agile, especially if you are using SCRUM. The documentation is
just as important a component for the sprint as the code or QA tests, and,
as our SCRUM expert used to say, "If the documentation is not done, the
sprint isn't complete either."

There is a compromise, though, that I used. Our team had three week sprints
that started on Wednesday and ended on a Tuesday. We did our sprint
retrospective on Tuesday, and started the next sprint on Wednesday. Since
that starting Wednesday and Thursday were usually background tasks (coding),
there was not as much for me to do right at that moment.

So Wednesday through Friday were my "finish up" days if I had anything left
over from the sprint. I also used that "slack time" for features that just
appeared during the sprint retrospective with a brand-new feature that no
one had seen or created a user story for. That happened when the product
manager and one particular developer got together and cooked up features
without telling anyone until they were done. That also goes against the
spirit of Agile, but it does happen.)

Agile documentation is now my favorite way to work. Communication is key,
and you may have to really speak up when you have enough work during sprint
planning, determined by your estimate of what it takes to document a certain
story or stories. *Your* estimate, NOT their estimate. Everyone on an Agile
team makes their own estimate about how long their work with take them to
do.

Book your documentation tasks against the user story that the devs are
coding. That way, when they are late with code or don't finish something,
you can show that you are blocked on a task, and go on to the next one. It's
the ultimate in accountability, and that's a good thing. The whole team can
see right away how their actions affect the documentation being on time as
scheduled.

I could tell you "it's going to be fine" but you will have to experience
that for yourself, I suspect. Do some reading about the Agile SCRUM process
so you know what is supposed to be happening, as opposed to what others are
telling you. And speak up! Everyone's input on an Agile team is critical.
They need your viewpoint too, and you might find that you really start to
like that.

Best,
PT

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com