RE: Senior vs. principal writer

Subject: RE: Senior vs. principal writer
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:49:59 -0400

Dan Goldstein skewered with:
Ken Poshedly wrote:

> > ... My co-writer is a good friend whom I've known for 30 years
> > this summer. But his writing skills and work ethic are sorely
> > lacking and I do far, far more than he does...
> >

> If in the future, a company considered hiring you both together, would
> you suggest to that company to hire just you?

Oooo, nasty! :-)

If you meant by "hiring you both together", actually employing both,
as opposed to considering the hiring of one or the other, who
both applied... well, a body could be a little vague but:

a) you don't have "loyalty" to a company until after they've got you
on contract

b) if you've been friends with someone for decades, then there
really oughta be some loyalty there

c) if the friend is really a pain to work with, then consider
simply damning them with faint praise.

If asked outright, suggest that whatever amount of work could
successfully be assigned to the two of you... you could probably
handle yourself. Otherwise, otherwise, otherwise... I don't
know where I'm going with this.

It's a tough call, and a moral gray area.
If both of you are unemployed and desperate, that's one
moral setting, and dictates one kind of response.
Go with the friend.

If both of you are employed and looking for something
fresh or better, then that's a different moral
setting.
Go with your own well-being and future job satisfaction.

The questions might be the same, but the weight is
different.

Besides, you don't know what he might be saying in that
other interview room down the hall, about the prospect
of working with you.

OK, Dan.
You've opened this can of worms. Lioks like you'll need
a bigger can.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com