Re: Address this. . .

Subject: Re: Address this. . .
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:44:10 -0400

> So "address" is exactly the same word as "fixed", in your dictionary.
>
> Could I ask what dictionary that is, please?
>
> I might need to review a copy to see what OTHER words this
> particular customer is reading in ways that I never intended.

No. I think you're missing my point and focusing on the literal, which
is sadly the trap that we as writers fall into all too often.

If a client sees that their issue will be addressed, the usual
reaction is to want it fixed. Therefore they will either assume it
will be fixed (and will be upset if/when it's not) or they will
constantly follow up wondering if the issue has been "addressed" yet.

You can take my advice or leave it, but don't get snide. I've spent
nearly all of my 16 years working in or closely with support groups.
The one constant is that paying customers want results, and if they
see anything that looks, smells, or feels like a resolution to their
reported issue, they'll be expecting a resolution that solves their
problems. They may be nice about conversing with you, or they might be
downright belligerent, but they will expect a resolution if you hint
at the possibility of there being one.

And with that, good luck with however you want to proceed. I hope you
received enough feedback to make a decision that fits your needs.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Available for contract and full time opportunities.

STC Ideas: http://stcideas.ning.com
Join: http://stcideas.ning.com/?xgi=6X1vNGI

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com