RE: Graphics question

Subject: RE: Graphics question
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <info -at- spectrumwritingllc -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:00:02 -0500

Tammy Van Boening wrote:

> I have a JPEG image from a client that is sized at 2400 x 2400. I need to
> use this image for the front page of a manual and it needs to fit completely
> an 8.5 x 11 in page. What do I have to do/how do I resize/rescale this image
> to so that I don't lose any clarity/color/sharpness, etc. but still fill the
> page completely?

You cannot make a square image completely fill a non-square space without either distorting it (stretching it vertically) or cropping it (cutting off part of the image from one or both sides). It's not *quite* a square peg in a round hole, but it's still not something that can be made to fit exactly.

If filling an 8.5x11 page is an absolute requirement, and distorting the image is unacceptable, you either have to make up about 350 rows-worth of pixels for the top and bottom of the page where no pixels exist (and no image exists), or else you have to throw away about 275 columns-worth of pixels from the sides of the image where the image won't fit on the page.

-Fred Ridder

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com