RE: OT: Profanity in the workplace

Subject: RE: OT: Profanity in the workplace
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "John Posada" <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "voxwoman" <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 11:02:29 -0800

John gives excellent advice about handling a difficult situation in the
workplace, and I totally disagree with his characterization of profanity
and vulgarity in the workplace and the psychology of meetings. People
are rational animals, and words don't just pop out in the "heat of the
moment." People with cognitive impairments notwithstanding, people
choose what to say. Similarly, productive discussions don't just happen,
they are controlled and driven forward by like minded participants who
respect each other. If one were really concerned about moving a
discussion forward, I think conventional wisdom would suggest that they
do their utmost to not flagrantly offend others. When it comes to being
able to behave decorously, avoiding vulgarity is low hanging fruit.

It's widely accepted that when a writer fails to communicate to his
readers, the onus of the failure falls entirely on his shoulders.
Similarly, when a speaker in a meeting offends one of his listeners--by
using a phrase that is universally acknowledged to be profane or
vulgar--the onus is on him, not the person who is offended. And if that
same speaker can't handle the tangent that he himself inspired, the
fault for that also is entirely on him.

Leonard