RE: Collaborative authoring, production, and CMS?

Subject: RE: Collaborative authoring, production, and CMS?
From: Ole Andersen <ora -at- dita-exchange -dot- com>
To: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:35:16 +0100

Hi Mike,

I think you are addressing a very important issue in the global adoption of the DITA standard. Unless we support your thoughts, it will be difficult to implement DITA in a large organization.

There is a lot of good solutions out there. SDL, Astoria, Quark etc. to explore. If you are looking after a solution that extends your SharePoint installation, then you may want to have a look at our solution.

DITA Exchange has been built specifically to address the requirements you mention and to 'de-mystify DITA' in general. Please visit our website or contact me offline for a private webinar if you want more information (other list members can of course join - just send me an offline email).

Answers to your requirements:

1) You are right. SERIAL, email driven, PDF based review and approval cycles are cumbersome. In DITA Exchange 5-10-20-30+ people can collaborate in a PARALLEL workflow on the same publication without conflicting. PDF based review cycles are no longer needed. If you want to browse a few screen shots, you will find them here<http://secure98.dita-exchange.com/sites/CT2/DxProducts/DxDMV/Pages/default.aspx>

2) We consider Microsoft Word a good interface for SME's and Word is the standard authoring interface included in DITA Exchange. DITA Exchange also works fine with XML editors like FrameMaker, XMetaL, oXygen, Arbortext etc.

3) DITA Exchange offers integration to DITA Open Toolkit or an easy-to-configure output engine using *.dot files to style the output (most technical people can handle *.dot files) and we offer an 'on-the-fly' conversion to HTML

4) Since DITA Exchange is a complete XML Content Component Management System, Version control, Check In/Out, Link Management, Where Used, Broken Link Report, Version compare etc. is available out of the box.

Best Regards

>< Content Technologies ApS

Ole Rom Andersen

Director, Co-founder

Katrinebjerg Science Park | Aabogade 15 | DK-8200 Aarhus N | DENMARK | Cell: +45.4044.0553 | Fax: +45.6980.3578 | Skype: olerom | ora -at- dita-exchange -dot- com | http://www.dita-exchange.com |

Read the Microsoft Case Story about the DITA Exchange Word Editor(tm) here

Read the Microsoft Case Story about the DITA Exchange OXML Publishing Engine(tm) here

Download the "Intelligent Content Framework" Microsoft Data Sheet here