Re: my bad displays habit

Subject: Re: my bad displays habit
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 20:13:49 -0800

I'm currently in my first consumer-product gig in a verrry long time. The model
here is:

Startup dialog opens on power-up.
First instruction appears on the display.
When user makes a selection the second dialog opens.
Second instruction appears on the display.
Etc., etc., etc.
We write the instructions and create the graphics and anumations that the system
displays. No printed or CD manual other than a brief startup guide that walks
the customer through the steps needed to get the unit out of the box and plugged
in.

The behind-the-scenes documentation required to produce this apparently
minimalist customer instruction in over 20 languages is a bigger job than any
user manual I've ever written.

Gene Kim-Eng