Re: Article: "EXCLUSIVE: Help Wanted -- 'Arrogant Americans' Need NotApply" AND THIS IS FOR A TECHWRITER

Subject: Re: Article: "EXCLUSIVE: Help Wanted -- 'Arrogant Americans' Need NotApply" AND THIS IS FOR A TECHWRITER
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:58:01 -0800 (PST)

I completely agree with Gene.

Having been to London, England, four times, as well as Berline, Amsterdam, Paris and Brussels, and now China for my current employer, I can say that while not all Americans are arrogant when overseas or when dealing with foreign cultures, those who are arrogant -- in my personal experiences over the past 48 years -- were _usually_ Americans. I could give specific examples of what I saw and heard while overseas, but then others would say what I saw could have been done by non-Americans as well.

True, but what I saw -- time and time again -- were American tourists either _demanding_ route directions or info info (London at various times), littering the street with fast-food wrappers while passing a litter-basket (Amsterdam), beginning conversations with strangers without even asking if they spoke English (Berlin, and no, they didn't), and on and on.

Like I said, we're not exclusively rude, but there are just too many rude Americans out there.

Incidentally, my company had a two-day series of presentations a few months ago on working with the other culture. Because my company is Chinese, the first day was all-day sessions for only the Chinese staff on "How to Work with Americans". The next days was for all the rest of us (Americans and a few Asian Indians) on "How to Work with the Chinese". It was a real eye-opener to learn that some everyday things we discuss casually can be regarded by the Chinese as insulting, nosey or out-of-bounds. I'll gladly carry this on via private discussion if anyone is interested.

-- Kenpo in metro Atlanta