Contract Advice Needed, Quick! Can someone read this & provide an opinion?

Subject: Contract Advice Needed, Quick! Can someone read this & provide an opinion?
From: Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Technical Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 16:52:28 -0600

Hi Whirlers:

I have an opportunity for a short-term contract (about 6-7 months) and the
employment agreement has a section on copyrights and patents. I've read it
four times already, and I think it might affect my own (off their clock)
works and inventions but I am not sure. Being that I might have a book deal
in play, I really DON'T want to do that.

They have allowed me only an hour to read this, decide, and give them an
answer. If there are any contract experts (or even attorneys!) out there who
would be willing to offer an opinion, I would be very grateful. I wont' take
it as legal advice; I just want another pair of eyes on this in addition to
my opinion. And, most of you have at one time or another dealt with
contracts like this.

Here's the text:

Consultant will assist company and its nominees successors, or assigns, on
request, during and following the term of this Agreement, at company's
expense, to obtain and maintain for its own benefit, patents and/or
copyright registrations for any such inventions and/or copyrightable works
in any and all countries. Such assistance shall include, but not be limited
to, executing and delivering specific assignments of any such invention or
copyrightable work and all domestic and foreign patent rights and copyrights
therein, and all other papers and documents that relate to securing and
maintaining such rights, and performing all other lawful acts, as may be
deemed necessary or advisable by company or its nominees, successors, or
assigns.

Thanks in advance.

PT

http://www.doctohelp.com/