Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 29

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 51, Issue 29
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 09:37:51 +0200

Tony,

As for a double edged sword being "the most powerful weapon"--I would
have a hard time believing it was "more powerful" than a bow and
arrows or a spear--just different in use.

I wonder, though, if the Biblical reference might have been to swords
fabricated perhaps in Assyria or elsewhere, which may have been double
edged and of metal somewhat more advanced than might have been typical
in other cultures at the time. Although I am speculating here, perhaps
to their audience a "double edged sword" may simply have been
recognized as being sharper than they could get with an inferior
blade--which, being of lesser material, may have had to have been
single edged simply to have enough mass to resist breaking.

Some of those in this thread have said the "double edged sword is
dangerous to you and to the foe"--but that is not quite correct. If
that were all there was to it, it would never have been made and used
for hundreds of years--people were no more foolish then than we are
today, after all. Instead, the two edges were dangerous to a foe on
both fore and back strokes, reducing the vulnerability of the
swordsman during combat.

*Any* sword is dangerous if improperly handled, although I suppose the
rapier as a purely stabbing weapon would be the least dangerous type.

By the way--regarding the size and weight of two-handed swords such as
the Scottish examples. My remark of immense weight was based upon a
book of weapons I read when I was perhaps 12 years old. At the time, I
found it fascinating--but obviously it was wrong in some significant
details.

Yesterday, I did some reading about swords, and it appears most
two-handed swords were considerably less than ten pounds--seven or
eight pounds seemed to be considered quite heavy for an actual combat
two-hander--and even that would have been extremely tiring in extended
combat. They were, however, often as long or longer than the swordsmen
were tall.

I was also fascinated to learn that many of the Scottish swords used
blades made in Germany or Italy, with the grip and hand guards
fabricated locally.

David

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com