RE: Mixing metaphors?

Subject: RE: Mixing metaphors?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Milan Davidović <milan -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com>, "dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com" <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:08:04 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From:
-l.com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin.mclauchlan=safenet-> inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Milan Davidovic
> Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:34 PM
> To: dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com
> Cc: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: Mixing metaphors?
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Deborah Hemstreet
> <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com> wrote:
> > A client insists that I talk about something being a
> "two-edged sword"
> >  (they had written double edged, I can fix that!).
>
> These two discussions may be of interest:
>
> http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/44/messages/59.html
> http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/19/messages/1162.html
>
> --

My understanding of the "double-edged" or "two-edged" sword
metaphor was that single-edge swords can be gripped at two points,
in the manner of a staff - one hand maintains its grip on the
handle, but the other hand can grip/support the blunt back of
the blade to strongly block an opponent's cut, or to press the blade
strongly against armor or to overpower a weaker block - while
double-edge swords can be gripped (with safety) only at the
handle end. The double-edge sword allows you to cut on both
the advancing and the receding strokes, but constrains you
to handle it only by the handle (reducing your levrage) lest
you cut yourself.

Anybody ever try to cut a big, tough turnip in half and find
themselves pushing down on the spine of the knife blade to
help it along? Can't do that if it's sharp both sides.

- Kevin (whose short-lived fencing 'career' is decades behind him)

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com