RE: Fonts for translation

Subject: RE: Fonts for translation
From: "Technical Writing Plus" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "'techwr-l'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:35:28 -0600

I can say that in general the serified fonts (such as TNR) are liked more by
US audiences and the sans serif fonts (such as Arial Unicode MS) are
appreciated more by people who live in other places. But that is simply a
general thing and it has many exceptions.

One exception might be that if it is US and the content is math and science,
then a sans serif font is preferred.

As to the second question: I do not know.

There is a large translation agency (do not remember the name-perhaps it is
Lingosys?) that gives out a guide to preparing documents for translation.

This reminds me of another, marginally unrelated, thing - documents that are
being prepared for translation should be 'ragged-right'.

Jim Jones fixer-jim.blogspot.com

Chinese to English, German to English, and Spanish to English, General and
Technical; fixer-jim.blogspot.com

Editing, Technical Editing and Illustration (Sr Member, STC)

Remote Tutoring and Coaching for Mandarin (Accent Correction; Confidence,
Vocabulary and Fluency Building, etc.)

Chineseadjuster.webs.com