RE: how bad is the job market?

Subject: RE: how bad is the job market?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>, "beelia -at- pacbell -dot- net" <beelia -at- pacbell -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:36:36 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From:
-l.com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin.mclauchlan=safenet-> inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com
> Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 10:39 PM
> To: beelia -at- pacbell -dot- net
> Cc: TECHWR-L Writing
> Subject: RE: how bad is the job market?
>
> It's important for everyone to be aware that many of the Craig's List
> postings are actually phishing attempts. My local board warns
> people of
> this before they enter any of the job categories.
>
> I learned this personally after replying to several of the
> better paying
> ads that looked legit. I ended up starting a separate email
> account for
> replying to CL listings, so I wouldn't compromise my regular email
> account.
>
> I've also learned to check out the company's website, and not to reply
> to any ad unless it listed a company.
>
> Forewarned is forearmed.

And be more than cursory in your check of a website.

I don't have any experience with bogus company sites
for job offers, but I've recently encountered some "consumer"
sites that were set up for no purpose other than
to lend (bogus) legitimacy to a scam being sold on
another site.

An example is a crew calling themselves SatelliteDirect.tv

They have: http://theconsumerexperts.com/tvonyourpc.tml
which purports to "review" TVonPC solutions, but actually
exists only to steer people to the scam site itself.

So, I can see a phisher planting a bogus site or two
or a bogus forum or two to lend legitimacy to their
central phishing site.

By the way, I happened on that while looking for a
reasonably legitimate counterpart of Boxee or Hulu
that I could get in Canada. So far, nothing.

I had about three minutes of hope when I first encountered the
scam site, until the feeling of "something smells here" got
too loud to ignore.

It would be _more_ important to quell your desperate hope
and pay attention to the spidey-sense when being lured
to give all your identifying info to a phishing site, in
hopes of finding employment.

Keep your antennae up, folks, and your noses aquiver.
There's lots of filth out there, masquerading as human beings.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com