CHM on non-Windows OSes (Re: RoboHelp: Ready to Publish...how do I do that?)

Subject: CHM on non-Windows OSes (Re: RoboHelp: Ready to Publish...how do I do that?)
From: Janet Swisher <jmswisher -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:26:03 -0600

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:20 AM, Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com> wrote:
>> A .chm generally has to be downloaded to the local hard drive. And it
>> won't work on non-Windows platforms.
>

> Correction: Only Windows ships with a built in application to open CHM
> files. There are equivalent helper applications for Mac and UNIX that
> opens CHM files. When I switched to Mac last fall, I searched and
> found Chmox, and now I can read my favourite CHM manuals and eBooks
> with a simple double click.

The Ubuntu 9.10 distribution of GNU/Linux includes kchmviewer, and
many of the apps that are packaged with Ubuntu use it for displaying
their help.

However, many Unix/Linux distributions do not include it, so you need
to either limit your target platforms, or provide instructions on
installing kchmviewer.

--
Janet Swisher, http://www.janetswisher.com

http://www.doctohelp.com/