Re: RoboHelp: Ready to Publish...how do I do that?

Subject: Re: RoboHelp: Ready to Publish...how do I do that?
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 23:20:58 -0800

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com> wrote:
> A .chm generally has to be downloaded to the local hard drive. And it
> won't work on non-Windows platforms.

Correction: Only Windows ships with a built in application to open CHM
files. There are equivalent helper applications for Mac and UNIX that
opens CHM files. When I switched to Mac last fall, I searched and
found Chmox, and now I can read my favourite CHM manuals and eBooks
with a simple double click.

Which brings me back to one of my first comments to this list that I
thought MS was short sighted in threatening to pull support for this
very versatile format. Sure, it's got its problems when MS locked down
their network security, making it difficult to open CHMs over networks
drives and UNC paths. But they should have just patched the program.

-Tony

--
Tony Chung: Creative Communications
Cell: +1-604-710-5164