Re: Book layout software?

Subject: Re: Book layout software?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 08:51:30 -0800

Re: Pages

>From Wikipedia ~ *Beginning in iWork '08, word processing and page layout
are two distinct modes.*

I would assume, then, that Pages has a booklet-printing provision. Another
term for this is imposition.

If Pages treats its text flow anything like PageMaker, you can insert text,
graphics, and even entire pages anywhere, anytime. When you print the
project as a "book," the software knows how to deal with the imposition.

For learning mode, you can easily create a dummy imposition. If the booklet
is to be 16 pages, stack four (16/4) scraps of paper that are the same size
on top of one another, then fold the stack in half as if you were creating a
small book by hand. Now number each page, starting with the cover. Finally,
separate the indivifual pieces of paper. The result is how the pages
should be numbered after being ejected from the printer. It's simpler than
it sounds.

I don't know if their fancy printer will center-staple the booklets. If not,
any office supply store sells long-reach staplers that can reach the center
gutter of booklets for so-called "saddle stitching."

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com