Re: Adobe Technical Communications Suite

Subject: Re: Adobe Technical Communications Suite
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:22:26 -0500

> The inclusion of apps I don't need wouldn't bother me so much if the
> bundle included Illustrator. Does Adobe think technical documentation
> doesn't require drawings?

No clue what Adobe thinks. I'll suggest Illustrator to RJ.

> And RoboHelp would be more useful if Adobe would have its developers
> work on things the market needs, such as Eclipse and MS Help 2 output,
> rather than wasting time on Flash help and AIR.

Only those developing Help for VS.NET/C# SDKs and APIs need HS Help 2.
It was never officially released as a widespread format, and those
developing it are better off using Sandcastle to build API/SDK content
anyway. Any additional Help can be easily converted from CHM or
compiled from HTML using FAR (which I believe is $50).

Flash Help is a bit clunky, but AIR is growing in popularity,
especially after the release of the interactive Avatar movie trailer
and of course widely-used applications like TweetDeck. I think AIR as
a Help platform is a bit silly as a stand-alone deliverable, but like
the case of Java and JavaHelp, if your app already uses AIR, it makes
sense to deliver AIR-based help.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Available for contract and full time opportunities.

STC Ideas: http://stcideas.ning.com
Join: http://stcideas.ning.com/?xgi=6X1vNGI

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com