RE: Q1 2010 job market

Subject: RE: Q1 2010 job market
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:20:01 -0500

Several empty desks in our office this week, after half a dozen contractors wrapped up and said goodbye on New Year's Eve... they said it to only a handful of us captive long-timer/full-timers, since the rest were out on vacation.

But yesterday, my group (as the only techwriter here, I'm lumped in with Engineering Test) welcomed a new tester and there were interviews in one of the conference rooms, involving one of the software development managers. I _think_ I see a soft, but detectable, trend toward coming back up to strength with employees (as opposed to contractors... though most of the ones who just left were here for a year plus).

Not sure what that implies for y'all, 'cuz I'm in Canada (where we were not hit as hard by your recession), though my employer is an American company. Overall, the information security biz seems like a good one to be in, because with only the tiniest of belt-tightenings, the company has (so far) come through the down-turn with a brief slowing of growth, no overall loss.

Another hopeful sign - economy-wise, and by extension hope for employment prospects - was the fact that we were able to put our house up for sale on December 12, have several viewings over the run-up to Christmas and through the holiday, and serious offers, and conditions waived on the sale yesterday. The real estate market is generally a good economic indicator. And now, at least three moving companies are going to have business in late February. :-) They probably don't employ techwriters, but they employ people who buy stuff... from companies that employ techwriters.

Cheers,

- Kevin (who "needs" a massive, counter-height table and chairs for the new house, along with a big-screen TV, laptop for Mom-in-law, etc.... doing our bit for everybody's employment)

PS: I have't broken it to her (an 85-year-old woman) yet, but I've pretty much decided that Mum-in-Law's next computer will be a MacBook Pro - this is to save our sanity; the woman just WILL not stop opening e-mail attachments on her Windoze computer, and guess who gets to clean up the malware mess every few weeks. She'd have a learning curve from her old XP to a new Windows 7 box anyway, so going to Mac instead shouldn't be a hardship. In fact, I might not even tell her it isn't the new Windows... heh-heh-heh

-l.com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin.mclauchlan=safenet-> inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Gene Kim-Eng
> Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 2:28 AM
> To: TECHWR-L Writing
> Subject: Re: Q1 2010 job market
>
> I think you'll be seeing this for some time. Except for
> companies working on
> multiyear government contracts, hiring is happening mostly on
> a per-project
> basis.
>
> Gene Kim-Eng

or disclosing it.