Re: Bad Salary Omens

Subject: Re: Bad Salary Omens
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Technical Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:52:58 -0800

These listings are always with us, even in good times (and yes, even in Silicon
Valley). It's just that when times are good, you tend not to notice them buried
in the better listings.

Most commonly, these listings originate from some small company whose principals
know little or nothing about documentation and have been sold a bill of goods by
an agency that normally specializes in office temps. The agency will bill them
$40-$60/hr and try to find someone, anyone, who will work for less than half of
that. If you can manage to deduce who the client company is from the job
description (the temp agencies often don't know enough about tech writing to
rewrite the descriptions and just copy/paste the client's), you may be able to
approach the client directly as a 1099 vendor and snag the contract at the same
bill rate as the agency.

Gene Kim-Eng