RE: Fw: Adobe confirms PDF zero-day attacks. Disable JavaScript now |Zero Day | ZDNet.com

Subject: RE: Fw: Adobe confirms PDF zero-day attacks. Disable JavaScript now |Zero Day | ZDNet.com
From: <Brian -dot- Henderson -at- mitchell1 -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:45:50 -0800

-----Original Message----- From: Robert Lauriston

> Adobe used to be a great company, but they've gone so far downhill I
think they may actually be worse than Microsoft at this point.

-----

Yeah, I have pretty much an "anything but Adobe" attitude these days.
Unfortunately, for all-around PDF handling there's nothing BUT Adobe
(please please tell me if I'm wrong about that).

They have such tight control of the format that they can do whatever
they want, without regard for users. Most companies in such a position
end up considering their customers as mostly "trouble", and their
behavior can become anti-customer.

The company I work for was in the same position. For most of our
half-century existence we were literally the only game in town (well,
the planet, really). We got fat, lazy, and unresponsive, and our
customers were not happy. And we did not care. Oh, we SAID that we
cared, but clearly we didn't.

When a (definitely inferior) competitor finally appeared about 15 years
ago, our customers flocked to them. Much upheaval ensued. We scrambled
to make our products better...and actually did. And we're starting to
get some of our customers back now. The trouble is, our competitor also
got better. Lots of customers are not coming back.

We could've continued to own the world if we had paid attention to our
customers.

-BrianH.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/