Re: consolas font's hyphen - causing odd copy/paste result from PDF (from FrameMaker)

Subject: Re: consolas font's hyphen - causing odd copy/paste result from PDF (from FrameMaker)
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:34:32 -0800

Looks like at some point it's getting changed from hyphen-minus ASCII
2Dh to Unicode 2010.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Monique Semp
<monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:
> Has anyone run across this issue: in PDFs created from my FrameMaker files, the hyphen character in my code lines, which use the consolas font, look just fine, but when they're copied-and-pasted into a text editor (which is what the developers will do), the hyphens end up as some sort of special character.
>
> I haven't figured out what the character is yet, but it shows up as the usual box symbol.  I've just started googling, and think this is probably related to some unicode issue.  And I found that there are several sorts of hyphens in the unicode characters supported by the Consolas font (http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/font/consolas/list.htm).  But I'm not sure yet how to fix things.
>
> When I copy-paste from the FrameMaker doc, things are just fine.  So it's definitely something in the PDF distillation process that's causing the issue.  And when I change just the hyphen character to the more usual Courier font, the PDF is fine (meaning that one can copy/paste the hyphen just fine).
>
> Any ideas before I delve deeply into the Acrobat Unicode character support?

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/