RE: CHMs, DFDs, and TGIF

Subject: RE: CHMs, DFDs, and TGIF
From: "sbuckley" <sbuckley -at- onlinewriter -dot- com>
To: "'Tony Chung'" <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>, "'TECHWR-L Writing'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:42:18 -0800

The new Help you're seeing (Office and that) is actually all on the Web.
They make it look a bit different than a regular browser experience because
they want it to meld with the program for which the user is getting Help.
As far as I know there is no way for an outside company to write for that.
You would need to work with your own company Web site to do something
similar. MS is doing this work so that they can provide up to date Help.

You can still provide .chm as long as the viewer is available on the user's
computer. As noted in another post earlier MS is still providing .chm files
so more than likely the .chm viewer is there. Test on a computer you think
your users will have to make sure. Otherwise you can, last I looked,
provide the .chm viewer as part of your install.