Re: Collaborative Documentation Review Process

Subject: Re: Collaborative Documentation Review Process
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Missy Smith <techpubsmistress -at- live -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 12:03:43 -0500

We've always used Acrobat (pro is only needed for the review document
creator) and review comment features, either via email or served
document. Everyone involved (not just writers) has loved this
approach.

To speak to the one reviewer's reservations, you can use comments,
highlighting, strikethroughs, and other markup for reviewing
documents, and ALL of them allow you to add a comment associated with
the mark.

In a served review doc, reviewers will be able to see each other's
comments and respond to them, which can alleviate some of the monkey
in the middle back-and-forth that writers can find themselves in
resulting from trying to resolve two strong differences of opinion.
And of course, all comments are rolled up neatly for the writer, who
can then generate a report of all comments.

Even if the PDF is emailed out, the writer can collate comments back
into one file.

Just remember to enable review commenting before distributing the PDF!
Then all any reviewer needs is Reader to mark it up.

HTH,

Bill

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood
Blog: http://techcommdood.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/techcommdood

Available for contract and full time opportunities.

STC Ideas: http://stcideas.ning.com
Join: http://stcideas.ning.com/?xgi=6X1vNGI

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/