RE: Twitter

Subject: RE: Twitter
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Collin Turner'" <collinwrites -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'Char James-Tanny'" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:49:00 -0500

Collin Turner wrote:

"I am often amazed at how "stuck in our ways" the Tech Writing community
seems to be."

At the end of the 1800s, laws were passed requiring "automobiles" to be
disassembled and hidden in the bushes whenever a horse-drawn carriage
approached. People scoffed at the first transistor radios and in the early
1970s, those small "home" computers were ignored by most organizations and
the only "homeowners" who bought them were certified geeks.

I've spent over 40 years writing for a living, starting with a portable
typewriter to a home full of desktop and laptop computers. I have owned a
computer since the early 1980s and can't imagine life without one. It took
me a while longer to move to digital cameras, but when I did, it didn't take
me long to give darkroom to the local university. I've had friends call me
an idiot for giving up film because their impression is digital isn't as
good. Their impression of film versus digital is the same as the impressions
I'm seeing about twitter. Most of their concern is based on the incredible
effort they put into learning all the various aspect of film, developers,
papers, etc., and the fact that modern cameras, photographic software, and
ink jet printers do most of that work for you today. They don't want to
change and as a result many get left behind.

As for me, I don't use Twitter....yet. It's not because I have no interest.
It's because I am so buried with current deadlines, which reminds me...gotta
go.

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/