RE: linking from Frame(PDF) to external files

Subject: RE: linking from Frame(PDF) to external files
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Cherie Woo" <Cherie -dot- Woo -at- symyx -dot- com>, <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:16:37 -0700

Cherie Woo wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a way to define a hypertext link in a
Frame
> document, so that when it's converted to PDF, the link will open an
> external file (such as text or .cs file)? I thought that I could use
> Marker > Hypertext > "Message URL" command, but apparently it only
> applies to URL addresses (not file address). <snip>

It works for files in FM. The hypertext command "message URL
testfile.txt" opens testfile.txt (if it's in the same directory). If the
hypertext area in FM doesn't turn into a working link to the file in the
PDF, there may be another problem. Not generating Acrobat data? Path to
file is wrong? No application associated with file extension? Security
settings problem? There are many possibilities.

When you create the message URL command in FM, does it work in FM?
(Ctrl-Alt-click the active region.) In the PDF, is there no hyperlink
there, or does it fail in some way? Is there a message? Do other
hyperlinks work?

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
303-777-0436
------

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/