Re: Using Synergy configuration management system with Frame files

Subject: Re: Using Synergy configuration management system with Frame files
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: GILLIOTTE Valérie <vgilliotte -at- mega -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:42:16 -0600

Your discription of what you want to do is not content management or
configuration management. It's version control.

Sharepoint isn't suitable for your stated needs, though it can be made
to work, manually.

Probably the best thing to use would be something like Subversion, or
Visual Source Safe, which are version control programs.

Scott

GILLIOTTE Valérie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our development team works with IBM Rational Synergy configuration management and change request system. They would like the technical publications department to use Synergy to store FrameMaker files and better track changes in documentation.
>
> We use FrameMaker 7.1 and Webworks 2003+Automap / e-pro for our on-line help. We are a team of 5 technical writers.
>
> I've searched the archives for this (at the time Synergy was called Continuus), but the answers are quite old.
>
> Is there somebody here who has used successfully IBM Rational Synergy with FrameMaker files and books ?
> I'm worried about the fact that Synergy is more adapted to development than documentation. What about screenshots ? It would be painstaking to checkin/out a screenshot each time we have to update one...
>
> I see two advantages of using this kind of system:
> - for the time being, before a release I copy all the Frame files and images to a specific resource where I build the online help (but as we don't have a check-in / check-out mecanism so far, it is impossible to know in what state the files are) ...
> - we need to translate our documentation in 3 different languages. For the time being there is always a period of time just before the release where we restrain from writing to have a stabilized version of the documentation for last-minute translation updates (with a check-in / check-out system it would be possible to continue writing)
>
> Also what would be the difference between IBM Rational Synergy and a content-mangagement system lile Documentum or Sharepoint ? Which is most adapted to Framemaker ?
>
> Thanks for any feedback on this. You can aslo cc me directly as I am on a digest (vgilliotte at mega.com).
>
> Valerie

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help and Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Full support for
team authoring with multi-user editing - both directly and in combination
with VSS-compatible source control systems. http://www.helpandmanual.com/