Re: Code Annotation of the Week

Subject: Re: Code Annotation of the Week
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:50:27 -0800 (PST)

I think it would have been worse conduct for the tech writer to unilaterally pass judgment on the "fitness" of somebody's else's code. It would have been truly unprofessional if he had decided on his own to omit or bowdlerize the language. That would have been censorship, not documenting.

He gave the other people concerned, who were perhaps even more responsible, a chance to handle it separately or decide on a different course of action. His supervisor did not tell him to change the wording or omit mention of it. The tech writer followed his orders and did what was expected of him. If there is anyone to be castigated for using improper language or for unprofessional behavior, it would be the other people, not the tech writer who documented the error message.