Re: RE: tifs at 240 dpi worth redoing?

Subject: Re: RE: tifs at 240 dpi worth redoing?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:40:45 -0800

The RAW native file format used by most of today's digital cameras is 240dpi,
and images have to be converted to other resolutions and file formats. As you
have observed, the difference between this and your original 300dpi spec is
negligible in actual use, and the fact that the files you received are in this
resolution probably means the photographer converted the original camera files
with minimal processing, which is actually good.

If you really need to have exactly 300dpi for some reason, open the files in an
image editor and change the resolution without resampling. This will result in
a file with the desired resolution but the same total pixels and slightly
smaller dimensions in inches or centimeters with no resampling artifacts, and is
most likely what the photographer would do if you called for the images to be
redone.

Most digital images get resized to smaller dimensions when used, so adjusting
the resolution is probably a waste of time and effort.

If I was going to go back to the photographer for anything, I'd be asking for
copies of the original RAW files from the camera. Conversions to other file
formats almost always produce some loss of the original camera image, and it's
always best to retain the original just in case.

Gene Kim-Eng