RE: RE: tifs at 240 dpi worth redoing?

Subject: RE: RE: tifs at 240 dpi worth redoing?
From: "Boudreaux, Madelyn (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <MadelynBoudreaux -at- ge -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:01:40 -0500

Nancy Allison exclaimed:
>Curiouser and curiouser! The original images *are* at 240 dpi,
>which surprises me.

It doesn't surprise me. Speaking from experience, Canon and NIKON DSLRs
shoot RAW at 240DPI. Google suggests Pentax does as well, and if I'm not
mistaken, it's the standard at this point for high-resolution RAW
images. They store far more information than just the visible pixels.

Furthermore, DPI actually has no meaning in the digital photography
world. It's technically PPI. DPI refers to the printed size. PPI
involves the number of pixels recorded by the camera. Essentially, this
is the print world trying to talk about print to the digital world, and
the language is all wrong. It's a bit like going to the store and asking
for a lipstick color by pantone code. You may eventually find a lipstick
that matches the pantone swatch, but these are 2 different languages for
the same concept. Unfortunately, we're still using DPI in photos because
it's how we've always done it. See also, cutting off both ends of the
turkey to fit into great-grandma's roasting pan.

If you have a 11x14 240 DPI photo, it will print at 8x10, 300 DPI just
fine. My 240 dpi photos print at 20x30 just fine. I don't think you're
going to have any issues. In the future, however, you shouldn't specify
300dpi from a digital photographer.

You can read some people discussing it here:
http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00Us8y

- Madelyn

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help and Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Full support for
team authoring with multi-user editing - both directly and in combination
with VSS-compatible source control systems. http://www.helpandmanual.com/