RE: tifs at 240 dpi worth redoing?

Subject: RE: tifs at 240 dpi worth redoing?
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Nancy Allison'" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:16:04 -0500

First, did you pay the photographer for the lower-resolution TIFFs? If you
already paid him/her, then there isn't much you can do. If you haven't paid
him/her, then you have several options.

You said that you specified the photographer to supply you with "high
resolution images at 300 dpi," but he gave you "high resolution images at
240 dpi." When you view them on a computer screen, you won't see any
difference because most screens (even flat panel displays) display images at
around 100 dpi. The difference will be obvious when you blow them up to
poster size (I'm talking convention size posters). Since you indicated that
your needs allow you to use the lower of the two resolutions, but that
marketing may need the higher resolution, then talk to marketing to see if
the 240 dpi images are acceptable. If they are, then accept the images, but
keep in mind what the photographer supplied and ensure he/she provides you
exactly what you requested.

If marketing cannot use the lower resolution images, then you need to go
back to the photographer and have them redo the images at the correct
resolution. If the photography refuses to redo the images, then you can pay
them and put them on the "Never call" former vendor list, or not pay them
until they do what you ask. This is the computer age; they should be able to
reformat to the correct dpi automatically using Photoshop's batch
processing. (They probably used Photoshop and set the wrong parameter ending
up with the size you requested, but not the resolution.)

As a photographer (40+years fine art, photojournalism, products), I learned
long ago to double check my product with the customer's requirements. This
looks like an honest mistake that can be rectified quickly.

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com
See Also:
Fine Art Photography
Website: www.geistarts.com

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help and Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Full support for
team authoring with multi-user editing - both directly and in combination
with VSS-compatible source control systems. http://www.helpandmanual.com/