Can I have content in a RoboHelp project that updates automatically when an external "source" file is updated?

Subject: Can I have content in a RoboHelp project that updates automatically when an external "source" file is updated?
From: "Saunders, Ian" <ISaunders -at- syntellect -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:11:12 +0000

Hi,

I am using RoboHelp 7 to produce CHM help files. I am neither a RoboHelp nor a CHM expert.

I am being asked to include the content of a frequently (possibly daily) updated file in my projects (the file contains our End-user License Agreement). The text already gets automatically built into our InstallShield script each day, and we would like to be able to ensure that the latest content is also available each time we compile a CHM (also daily).

Is it possible in RoboHelp to have content that is automatically updated when an external source is updated? Someone has suggested using File > Import, but it looks to me as though this simply converts a file (for example a DOCX file) into an HTM file with an associated CSS (that differs from that used by the rest of the project), and puts these into the project. File import also is a manual task - that is, once I have imported a file, the content of the resultant HTM file remains static until I manually import the file again. Is this correct?

Also can I import content from an RTF file (the format my developers would like to supply)? The (woefully inadequate) RoboHelp Help suggests that I can only import DOC or DOCX Word files. (The Help also mentions two parameters that don't in fact appear in the Import Word Document Wizard: Split On Style dialog box: "Copy File to Project Folder" and "Add Document as Read-only RTF". What's that all about?)

And if RoboHelp can only create an HTM topic from an imported file, how can I get my standard CSS to be automatically applied to it, rather than the CSS created on import? Or is it possible to import text into an existing topic?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Regards

Ian Saunders
Syntellect Ltd.
Fleet, UK.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help and Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Full support for
team authoring with multi-user editing - both directly and in combination
with VSS-compatible source control systems. http://www.helpandmanual.com/