RE: Narrative Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Narrative Technical Writing
From: "Janoff, Steve" <Steve -dot- Janoff2 -at- Teradata -dot- com>
To: "Chris Despopoulos" <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 13:14:12 -0500

Hey Chris,

You know, combining the idea that "procedures are largely obsolete" (who
said that? not me!:) with what you say about social technology, consider
Facebook.

I'm not a big user, but I would bet that most Gen-Y or whatever they're
calling them now people can set up an account and use the thing on a
daily basis without ever having to consult the help or any kind of
manual (which I doubt exists).

I mean, there are aftermarket manuals for Facebook, but who really needs
'em? Probably boomers. (Gritting teeth: Yes, I'm one.:)

That's the future of tech writing, at least as it relates to GUI's --
sure, they sort of *have* to deliver help for the thing, so somebody's
got a job; but really, in the past it might have taken a team of writers
to write the doc for such a web site (think eBay, Google, etc.).

Web applications are becoming so easy to use, the eventual "help" might
be a 1-page cheat sheet.

Btw, someone else mentioned the For Dummies books too, but I'll tell you
something about that series: when it first came out, the books were
fun. Then it became this homogenous wall of same-old-thing
documentation, and they all looked the same. Plus, they have FAR too
many words, and plus, that was fun in the early days when you *wanted*
something narrative like that for GUIs. Nowadays you just want to get
down to business. So I haven't looked at a For Dummies book in years,
even though I collected a bunch of them along the way.

Actually, I came up with things like "Longitude" by Dava Sobel (which I
never read but dipped into a little -- it looked good), the books by
Simon Winchester ("The Professor and the Madman" was a wonderful read,
or listen, since I consumed the audiobook version while commuting back
and forth to work over a couple of weeks), and maybe works by Edward O.
Wilson, the ant guy.

But you're right, science writing seems to be where it's at for this
kind of leisurely, sumptuous writing. Per Robert's note, I had even
gotten a book by M.F.K. Fisher some years ago, and she had an absolutely
wonderful style.

(Interesting, Robert, what you say about the cookbooks. Thanks for that
-- good information.)

Steve