Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 48, Issue 25

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 48, Issue 25
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: "Janoff, Steve" <Steve -dot- Janoff2 -at- Teradata -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:33:10 -0400

I have had the opportunity to write a manual that the programmers were
told to use as their guide to what the software should do and how it
should operate. It didn't happen all that neatly, nor necessarily at the
beginning of the project, but it ended well.

My 2¢,

JG

Janoff, Steve said the following on 10/29/2009 9:44 PM:

> PS - I forget where I read it but Donald Norman once suggested that the
> user manual be written before the product was even designed. That's
> almost like screenwriting. A heck of an idea! On the other hand,
> you're limited to the writer's vision of how something should be used,
> which could be constrained by what he/she is already familiar with in
> the world. I mean, could a writer have written the iPod user manual
> before the thing was developed? I doubt it, unless that writer was
> incredibly visionary.

Are you looking for one documentation tool that does it all?&#160; Author,
http://www.doctohelp.com/