Re: Other tech writing courses

Subject: Re: Other tech writing courses
From: David Castro <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 19:56:27 -0400

Yes, SFSU, my alma mater, does still have a Technical & Professional Writing
program (http://www.sfsu.edu/~tpw).

I graduated from the program in 1995, and have been working as a technical
writer ever since. I'll admit there were a fair number of my colleagues who
didn't end up in the technical writing field after graduation, but I know of
at least one other who did initially (she then moved into PMP work).

I HIGHLY recommend the program. The director of the program until this year
started in my last year, and is absolutely top notch! (Hi, Lu!) She is still
currently teaching there, but is not currently the director of the program.

--
-David Castro
thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>wrote:

> A friend used to teach a couple of classes at SF State. I'm not sure
> they still offer them.
>
> I had an entry-level position a few years ago and asked him to pass
> the opening along to his best students. No one applied. (Actually I
> got no decent applicants, so ended up hiring an experienced writer in
> Canada instead.)
>
> I think he said so far as he knew, none of his students ended up
> working as tech writers.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.