RE: Landscape vs. Portrait

Subject: RE: Landscape vs. Portrait
From: Paul Hanson <phanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 16:37:45 -0500

Even if IBM said, "NEVER EVER EVER use Landscape orientation" in their style guide, your story proves why, for your situation, landscape is appropriate. If there is some sacred law, I've not run up against it. I used to document a Reporting system that ran on an IBM iSeries. I was required to have report samples, with data, so essentially screen shots. My text that explained the fields on the report was portrait and my report examples were landscape. This was 1995-1998 that I would have been working on this manual. I don't think we necessarily knew there was an IBM style guide back then, but I faintly recall looking at one of their manuals and seeing portrait and then landscape orientation.

Do it *especially* if it improves usability.

Happy Friday. Going bowling tonight!

Paul Hanson
Technical Writer
Quintrex Data Systems http://www.quintrex.com