Framemaker Conditionalising Templates

Subject: Framemaker Conditionalising Templates
From: "Laura Fergusson" <l -dot- fergusson -at- codestuff -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:54:13 +0100

I am using Framemaker 8, and would love some input on how to go about
the following:

Up to now I have had around 10 different variants of a standard product,
for which I have used conditional text and variables. All variants have
their own book, but have used the same template, with the front and back
matter customised for each.

Now a new client means another variant - but they have their own
templates which I am to use.

I want to keep the same structure if possible, ie a book for the new
client, with all relevant files contained in that book, and within those
files, text conditionalised where necessary.

However can I do this if I am using a different template? I do not want
to have to make a separate copy of the files and apply a new template -
but is that the only way to do this?

Can anyone provide any suggestions on how to go about this in the least
painful way? It may be much easier than I fear. Can anyone advise me if
FrameMaker 9 would help?

Many thanks in advance

Laura

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.