Peer review - movin' it along

Subject: Peer review - movin' it along
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:38:12 -0400

Let's say that a group comprising folks from two or three departments and disciplines is supposed to get together to review and bless (or recommend/require changes to) all future proposals for modifications and improvements to the product interface.

Let's say that the MKS Integrity system that we use both for software version control and for problem-reporting-tracking-resolution is fine for its current purposes, but not set up for a peer-review process.

Where should we look next? Documents might be Word (or OpenOffice) files, plain text, e-mails, spreadsheets, mind-maps...

With as little fuss as possible, we'd like to just shove them into the process and have something track and enforce a proposal/suggestion's progress through our simple little review dance. Basically, each of five or six persons needs to be alerted when a new item arrives and needs review, when one of us has commented, and when we've all circled the drain enough that we're tired of seeing it again and have signed off.

So, status-tracking and promotion/demotion and "who's left that still hasn't done his/her part"?

Anybody using anything that they like?

Doesn't need to be an application that lives on people's computers - though it could be if it's small and cheap (read "free" or nearly) - it could be webbish. As long as the learning curve and the overhead are minimal.

No, we absolutely do not want to turn everything into PDFs or Word documents.

Other than that, the floor is open. What have you used; what do you like? Why do you like it?

Even if there's a module to plug into MKS, that would be great. But we want to avoid having to load (and pay for) some major enterprise add-on of which a half dozen people in a 1500-person company use 2-percent of the capability. Wouldn't fly at the budget meeting.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.