Re: #5 on the list of Low Stress Jobs

Subject: Re: #5 on the list of Low Stress Jobs
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:16:08 -0400

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 5:26 PM, McLauchlan, Kevin
<Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:
>  Julie Stickler tested the waters with:
>> some people think training = free consulting for their weird situations.
>
> If some sales rep sold me your product, to do what I need to do, then your training d**n-well better address my weird situation. Hell, I'm paying for both the product and the training (or my employer is) - you better believe I'll be wanting to know how to get your product to do what the sales rep assured us it could/would.

We had a highly flexible and customizable product that was rather
generic out of the box, but could be customized for several different
industries. You've got a good point, but the fact is, in any training
class there are questions that benefit the entire class and there are
questions that no one cares about but you. Frequently I saw customers
who wanted the basic class to cover every conceivable question they
might have about advanced topics and customization. We actually
offered at least a dozen courses, including courses on how to
customize the product, as well as consulting services. Some sites
just didn't want to spend the money for additional classes or
consulting, and there was often at least one student who used class
time to ask incredibly detailed questions that had nothing to do with
the course topics. I was always impressed when our trainers managed
to keep the course on track (so that the other students could get what
they paid for) without alienating the students who wanted to squeeze
several months of free consulting out of their 3 day basic course fee.

Julie

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.

RE: #5 on the list of Low Stress Jobs: From: Melissa Nelson
Re: #5 on the list of Low Stress Jobs: From: Julie Stickler
RE: #5 on the list of Low Stress Jobs: From: McLauchlan, Kevin