Re: Guide to Visio for FrameMaker users?

Subject: Re: Guide to Visio for FrameMaker users?
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:07:08 -0700

Word is intended to do a lot of things besides print, such as act as
an OLE container, on-screen data-entry form, and blog and HTML editor,
manage document workflow, produce content for SharePoint, present live
data, and so on. I don't think it does any of those things (or
anything else) very well, but Microsoft promotes its use for those
tasks.

Visio, on the other hand, is intended "[to make] it easy for IT and
business professionals to visualize, explore, and communicate complex
information. Go from complicated text and tables that are hard to
understand to Visio diagrams that communicate information at a
glance."

It is not intended for the sort of simple ad-hoc drawings you can
create with Illustrator, Inkscape, or the built-in drawing tools in
Word and FrameMaker.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 1:44 PM, <quills -at- airmail -dot- net> wrote:
> I must agree with Robert. Visio is being used like Word is being used,
> as a tool it was not designed to be. Visio is a specialized tool for
> flow chart and process charts. ...

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.